Cambridge South & the Busway

 On Sunday 28th of June, Cambridge South station opened, so of course I decided to take a visit.

My train to Cambridge South

The train I took was a class 379, which I was initially quite excited about as I had never taken one before, 
but as the train accelerated down the ECML, I noticed a major, glaring problem: the suspension. I don't know whether this was a train or track fault, but the train just could not stay stable. It wasn't some minor rattling - the train literally swung from side to side.

Two Cambridges and one abomination
Another thing to note was that the desination boards at King's Cross strangely referred to Cambridge South as CAMBSTH.

After some rattling, I arrived at Cambridge South station. It's a large(ish), 4-platform station, and it is heralded as being the first GBR-branded station.

In reality, the signage was just a bland black on white, and the only actual splashes of colour came from posters slapped everywhere reminding passengers that the railway is "owned by you", and that they were building a "railway Britain can rely on". Unfortunately for the news and fortunately for the passengers, very few trains were cancelled that day at Cambridge South.

The East Entrance

The West Entrance

Cambridge South has two large entrances. The East Entrance serves the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, while the West Entrance serves Southern Cambridge, including the area of Trumpington.

Getting the bus to Cambridge

To get to Cambridge City Centre, I decided to take the busway, when, to my horror, I discovered that south of Cambridge city centre, route A only runs once an hour. Despite this, the bus was quite busy, with almost no seats left.


After lunch, I took another busway service (Route A again) to Oakington, which was the furthest I could travel on my PlusBus ticket.

Oakington Station/Stop

The busway "station" had a basic waiting shelter, "platforms", and a next bus information board. It was quite unusual to see these provisions, often seen at tram stops, serving two bus routes.
Unfortunately, as is an issue with all trains & trams, there were engineering works on the busway, forcing route B to take a lengthy diversion, and speed limits to install safety fences.